Commercial Drivers License Physicals | FMCSA Certified Medical Examiner | For Commercial Driver Licenses
- Please call for an appointment at (480) 545-7988.
- We have all the forms.
- Appointments available within 24 hours (in most cases).
- Arizona Motor Vehicle Division location 1.3 miles away.
Arizona DOT Physical Exam For CDL Drivers
It is mandated by federal guidelines that all commercial drivers pass the DOT physical exam. The goal of this exam is to check if an applicant is fit enough to drive safely at the present time as well as in the foreseeable future. Passing the exam successfully can give you a maximum qualification certification for up to two (2) years. In cases that involve more serious health issues this period might be shortened.
Getting Your DOT Physical Has Never Been Easier
Time is precious. We don’t want to waste yours. Here’s what to expect during your DOT physical exam:
STEP 1: Schedule Your Appointment
Please call (480) 545-7988. We accept walk-ins, but recommend you schedule an appointment prior to your visit to reduce your wait time and ensure our DOT accredited doctor is available.
STEP 2: Get Your Physical
We will perform an examination, including:
- Health history review
- A physical exam
- A urine test
STEP 3: We will complete the DOT Medical Examination Report Commercial Driver Fitness Determination form and its supporting documentation, as well as the Medical Examination Certificate.
Keep the following in mind before your DOT physical visit:
- Insurance does not cover this exam
- Here is a list of items to bring that may be helpful:
- Glasses if vision requires a prescription
- Last Medical Examination Certificate Card
- List of medications with dosages and name and contact information of prescribing doctor
- Yearly clearance letter from Cardiologist or other medical specialist that may be necessary for chronic conditions, or surgeries, or conditions that may warrant previous clearance
We will provide the driver with two copies of the Examination Report and a Medical Exam Certificate.
Department of Transportation CDL Physical Requirements
Passing the DOT physical will require:
- Need to have a minimum of 20/40 correctable vision in each eye as well as both combined. Vision correction devices such as glasses or contacts are permitted. Please bring your glasses or contacts to your appointment.
- Must be able to distinguish colors found on traffic signals.
- Must be able to perceive a forced whisper at a distance of at least 5 feet. If you need them…please bring your hearing aids, and make sure the batteries work.
- If you take blood pressure medication, or non insulin diabetes medication you may be certified for up to one year if your blood pressure is 140/90 or lower.
- For a two year certification, blood pressure needs to be 140/90 or lower with no prior history of hypertension.
- An applicant can have diabetes which is controlled through diet or medication. Diabetes controlled through insulin injections is not permitted, unless you have a federal and state exemption.
- Use of schedule 1 drugs is disallowed.
If you are taking prescription medication:
- Please bring your doctor’s name, phone number, address, and name and dose of medications.
- No, Medical marijuana is not allowed by the DOT.
For more information, visit the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration website.